Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Latisse: Is it Worth It?

Many clients have asked me about using Latisse, which is an FDA approved, prescription eyelash growth serum, or at least it is marketed as such.  Did you know that Latisse was actually developed to treat glaucoma?  Developers realized during clinical trials that lash growth was a side effect of the product, so it was repackaged and marketed for the lashes.

Although I'm not a medical doctor, I do have my opinions about the ways in which this product affects clients' lashes and pocketbooks (it can be used with or without lash extensions).  Here are a few of my thoughts--based on my experience as a lash artist combined with my own personal research:
  1. It's risky.  I can ALWAYS tell if a client has used or is using Latisse.  The eyelids are irritated and there is evidence of strain on the skin.  It also can change the color of a client's eyes or eyelids.  
  2. It's expensive.  Latisse will cost you about $120 per month. 
  3. It's temporary. Stop using the product and your lashes return to "normal."
  4. It doesn't look like mascara.  NovaLash extensions actually replace your mascara, so you don't have to worry about flakes, streaks, or caking on mascara.  With Latisse, you will most likely still use mascara and have the same costs and experiences associated with using it. 
  5. Consumer Reports warns against it.  See this video for more information:


If you're in the market for longer lashes, be sure to check out ALL of your options. I'm a bit biased, but I really believe that NovaLash individual extensions are THE ABSOLUTE BEST WAY to safely get longer, fuller, thicker lashes.